Poetry is like flips on the wet, soft grass …
Poetry tastes like strawberries and
all other kinds of fruit …
It is as sweet as an angel.
It is the animal of life.
Amy Inman Grade 3, Border Voices Poetry Project Miramar Ranch Elementary
Amy read her poem to the Pope in Rome, 1998
Ever since 1993, the world’s most famous poets (imagine Lawrence Ferlinghetti, poet laureates Billy Collins and Kay Ryan) have trekked to San Diego and left raving about the huge successes of the Border Voices Poetry Project: “Like many writers and educators, I have a dream of bringing major poets into the schools . . . and promoting poetry in every classroom. That vision has already begun in San Diego, thanks to the Border Voices Poetry Project . . . ’’
– Dana Gioia, Poet, critic and former chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts
Border Voices places poets in hundreds of classrooms throughout San Diego County, resulting in spectacular
increases in scores on standardized tests.
Free poetry fairs, featuring celebrated poets from around the world, have delighted thousands of people. The fair includes students reading their award-winning poems, Risa the Poetry Clown, music and other delights. To get a “feel” for a Border Voices Poetry Fair, check out the fair schedule page. And Border Voices TV and radio shows have entertained millions on ITV. See their schedule on your local Educational TV channel.
A Literary Treasure Chest (Online Magic)
(1) A complete list of Border Voices poets that teachers can bring into the classroom.
The poets are available throughout the county. See Meet the Poet-Teachers page
El Cajon, San Diego, National City, La Mesa, Oceanside, Vista, Carlsbad, Escondido …
(2) A form for ordering Border Voices poetry anthologies: ORDER FORM 2014 To order the 2015 e-book click on Anthologies to Order
(3) Poems by award-winning students: Top poems of 2014: Student Winners 2014 To see the 2015 Student Winners – please return for an update by Thursday, May 14th.
(4) A report showing how Border Voices boosts test scores
and student self-esteem. Soaring Scores: THE RIGHT STUFF
(5) A proposal to create an ”endowment for poetry” to
serve the students of San Diego: Case Study
Start clicking, and enjoy the treasury of art and information that has been gathered in this electronic Ali Baba’s cave by the Border Voices Project. (page under construction)
Young Kids Enjoy Wizards and Pigs
“Border Voices is like nothing
I’ve ever done … I have never
had a better sense of mixing
poetry worlds together
– Donald Hall: one of America’s most-honored poets
A CHARMING INTRO TO BORDER VOICES POETRY: 9-year-old Brianna Harrison (above) wowed a crowd of 7,500 when she introduced Maya Angelou at Cox Arena. Brianna recited Ms. Angelou’s most famous poem, “I Rise,” with infectious gusto. FOR MORE POETRY-ON-FILM, visit our archives at YouTube.
To help bring creativity to our kids and the schools, people with a little extra cash can make a tax deductible gift:
The students, poets, parents and teachers of Border Voices thank you for your interest and support!